Saat tower (Clock Tower)
Saat tower (Clock Tower), the symbol of Tabriz also known as Tabriz Municipality Palace, was built in 1934 and is located in the center of the city and on the left side of the Blue Mosque. After the 2nd world war, the building was used by the Azerbaijan Democrat Party as a government office. When Iranian troops regained control of Tabriz in 1947, the building was used again as the Tabriz municipal central office, and since then this function has not changed.
Saat tower (Clock Tower) are a specific type of building, which houses a turret clock and has one or more clock faces on the upper exterior walls. Many clock towers are freestanding structures but they can also be part of a church or municipal building such as a town hall.
Saat tower (Clock Tower) is called so because of the four-face clock at the top of the tower. In the 1990s, in an attempt of install an elevator, one of Saat’s patios was damaged. In 2008, the dome of the tower was reconstructed with a new khaki colored fiberglass to replace the original silver colored dome.
To use the whole potential of the building, some parts of the tower have been used in function of a museum in recent years. The museum includes historical maps and photos of Tabriz, as well as some antiques such as first taxi cars, and old firefighting trucks.
Since Saat tower (Clock Tower) in Tabriz is located in the center of the city, it has been used for various ceremonies and gatherings in the city. Nowruz, for instance, is celebrated in Tabriz by setting a big Haft-Sin behind Saat Tower, which attracts many visitors.