Shah Gölü (El- Gölü, El- Goli)
Shah Gölü (El- Gölü, El- Goli) is the name of a large park in Tabriz,Iran. It has an square artificial lake surrounded by side walk in four sides. There is also a building in the middle of the lake, with traditional architecture of Iranian Azerbaijan. In South of the lake there is a hill covered by trees. Two beautiful stairways connecting the sidewalks to the top of the hill. At top of the hill, there is a building with modern architecture (Hotel Pars building). There is also a small Luna park next to the park.
The early history of the Shah Gölü (El- Gölü, El- Goli) is not clear. However, it seems that the lake originally was used as a water resource for agricultural purposes. In old times there was an artificial island with a small palace in the middle of the lake, which was used as royal summer palace during the Qajar dynasty (when Tabriz was the official residence of the Prince of Iran). During 2nd Pahlavi’s the palace was reconstructed and a pass-way was built to connect the island to the sidewalks around the lake, constructed in Kara koyunlu era 1485 AD.
During Pahlavi Dynasty Shah renamed the lake’s name from El Gölü to Shah Gölü but after the Iranian Revolution, the name of Shah Gölü was renamed to its original name El Gölü in official documents meaning People’s Lake.