Mosques in Shiraz
Some of the Mosques in Shiraz can be listed as below:
1.Holy Shrine of Shah-e Cheragh
Shah-e Cheragh is a shrine and mosque in Shiraz, housing the tomb of the brothers, Ahmad and Muhammad, sons of Imam Musa Al-Kazem (A.S) and brothers of Imam Reza (A.S), The shrines became celebrated pilgrimage centers in the 14th century A.D. Shah-e Cheragh is Persian for “King f the Light”. The mosque is the most important place of pilgrimage in Shiraz. It attracts large numbers of pilgrims who can also rest and relax in the vast courtyard of the shrine. The Shrine’s massive dome is inlaid with hundreds of thousands of pieces of finely crafted tiles and the interior walls are likewise covered with myriad pieces of dazzling glass intermixed with multi-colored tiles. The decorative work in a mosaic of mirrors, the inscriptions in stucco, the ornamentation of the doors covered with panels of silver, the portico and the wide courtyard are very attractive.
The mosque was built during the Qajar Era, and is still in use under protection by Nasir-al-Mulk’s Endowment Foundation. It was built by the order of Mirza Hasan Ali Nasir-al-mulk, one of the lords of the Qajar Dynasty, in 1876 A.D., and was finished in 1888 A.D. The mosque extensively uses colored glass in its façade, and it displays other traditional elements such as Panj Kaseh (five concaves) in its design. It is also famous as pink Mosque due to the usage of beautiful pink color tiles for its interior design.
Vakil mosque, which is one of the most beautiful Mosques that has ever been made in Iran, is located in the east side of pavilion and nearby Vakil Bath with the area of 8660 square meters. For construction of this rigid Mosque first they penetrated the ground in order to reach to the water then they filled it up by stone, soil, and lime, after that the sustainable foundation. In order to desirable the constancy of the Mosque we can say that it hasn’t been destroyed after two large earthquakes and it has totally preserved. Its integrated cutting considered as masterpieces of the Zand era.